Transit Oriented Development
The Broadway Light Rail Station will open in September 2016. This is a rare opportunity to define the future of the Broadway retail district, to set the stage for exciting urban development, and to build community-oriented public spaces around the station.
The Capitol Hill Champion, a joint project of the Capitol Hill Community Council and the Capitol Hill Chamber of Commerce, advocates for the incorporation of community goals in the redevelopment on top of Sound Transit’s Link Light Rail Capitol Hill Station. The result of extensive outreach and advocacy, the 2011 Urban Design Framework (UDF) sets forth the community’s vision and priorities, identified in public charrettes in 2010 and 2011:
- Development projects of the highest quality
- A permanent home for the Broadway Farmers Market
- Affordable housing and business space
- A cultural center and community spaces
- A Gateway and neighborhood way-finding
- Environmentally responsible building practices
- Selective additional height
- Low-ratio parking
More about the project is on the Champion website.